Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Snow day - the training continues no matter what!






Snow days, like today, are when Margot sings her "La..la...la...I HATE snow!" song. However, the 3 labs here are all part of our Lee 'dog' family. Crackers, the black lab is the eldest and at 11 years old is the grand matriach of this threesome. Red, the smaller yellow lab is the daughter of Crackers and the mother to the BIG dog in the front. Red is just now 6 years old. Sugar is still a young teenager and is the son of Red and grandson of Crackers...just now 15 months old.



Hey, these 3 are Labrador Retrievers and LOVE 'snow days' as they get to romp, run, and roll in the snow while playing. I LOVE snow days too as they get a ton of exercise while romping through the snow and snooze out quickly when we come inside where it's toasty warm.


But, snow days or no, dog training MUST continue so you also see Sugar helping me to 'Retrieve' the trash can lid back to our home. What I couldn't get a picture of was me requiring Red (who has learned the Formal Retrieve, but isn't yet as advanced as her son, Sugar, in being practical with everyday Retrieves) to hold the ball (why yes! we were playing Ball in the snow) as I heeled her about throughout the snow. She was a bit dismayed to find out that learning the Formal Retrieve NOW means she not only GETS to chase the ball, but is expected to HOLD it when I say so and for as long as I say.


Hum.....the dog training continues, snow or no!


Roxanne


PS: Gotta go bake some homemade bread or something like that...weather like this always makes me want to bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment