Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Training Therapy

Winter is a really hard time for me. By the end of December I usually run out of steam overpowered by cold and darkness. I continue struggling through the next few months drowning in work, laundry, kids homework, tests, gymnastics, gymnastics competitions, flu, strep, guilt that the dogs hadn't been worked. I am starting to come up with more and more excuses why I cannot get up at 5:30 to work the dogs, why I cannot get up off the sofa and do some retrieve or scent discrimination exercises that only require few minutes of my time.
I keep on telling myself that if I just sit here staring at the TV for an hour or so, I will feel better tomorrow and get back on track, but of course tomorrow there are more reason why I cannot do this or that. I blame time change that forced me back into the darkness in the morning after I saw the daylight around 6a.m., I blame the rain the cold anything else that fits the bill.
This evening I had a pleasant surprise - both kids were occupied with different activities that didn't involve me, until 8 in the evening. I came home and realized with the surprise that it's still light and even pleasant outside. After quick calculations I figured out that I still have about 40 min of the daylight. I grubbed the dogs and headed to the nearby school to do some work.
I started the usual race against the time, pressed by the view of the sinking sun, when suddenly everything stopped. By the time I started working with the second dog I forgot about the time, the rush and the sun. There was just me and the dog. Nothing else mattered. When we were done and I looked at the watch I discovered that it's later than I expected and the most importantly I felt centered again and ready for the kids, dinner, bedtime stories or what ever else the rest of the day was ready to throw at me.

1 comment:

  1. Yuliya,

    This was a wonderful 'snapshot' of your life of you and the daily challenges of working full-time, raising two excellent children, caring for a husband, managing a home AND training 2 dogs on-goingly.

    It gave me goosebumps when you described your "the moment of forgetting the time, the rush, and the sun...that nothing else mattered." It was one of the extra special 'lost in the joy of training your dogs' moments that make it all worthwhile - the extra effort it takes to really train a dog well.

    Hats off to you for your effots - and thanks for sharing here with all of us. It's good to hear you share your thoughts and your stories via cyperspace:) See ya tonight for training.

    ReplyDelete