Sunday, January 23, 2011

Working on a Sunday?

Well, yes it is a Sunday, but dog training never ends! Wayne, my husband, I, and Sugar have a once-a-month opportunity to share God's Word with the folks at the Encore Assisted Living Home.

This was Sugar's 2nd time visiting the folks here and he's a BIG hit. Because he's gentle and so well-behaved, the residents here feel safe with him so he gets LOTS of petting, fondling, stroking and comments like, "What a good dog you are, Sugar!" I ask each resident if they want to meet him...if they say yes, then I put him on a Sit/Stay while they stroke him.

Then we go to the theater room where everyone is getting situated so I work Sugar on Retrieves, Stand, Stand/Stays, Sit/Stays, Down/Stays, doggie push-ups, Swing & Heel positions in very small tight square corners, Back, Turn/Sit and whatever else seems appropriate.

Sugar is on a Long Down when Wayne is speaking and on a Stay while I'm singing....for which he promptly closes his eyes and goes to sleep.

Even though it's a Sunday....dog training continues for an Applewoods dog, named Sugar Bear:)

Roxanne Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment